Wilmington Blue Rocks (at Frawley Stadium)

Beginning in 2021, the Wilmington Blue Rocks will play in the High-A East as the High-A affiliate of…

Address
801 Shipyard Dr,
Wilmington, DE 19801
Phone
302.888.2015

Place Details

Email
info@bluerocks.com
Phone
302.888.2015
Address
801 Shipyard Dr,
Wilmington, DE 19801
Place Type

Visit Website

Description

Beginning in 2021, the Wilmington Blue Rocks will play in the High-A East as the High-A affiliate of the Washington Nationals.

The Blue Rocks won the 2019 Mills Cup Championship, closing a five-game series with the Fayetteville Woodpeckers with a 2-0 victory on September 14th!

History:
In 1940, R.R.M. (Bob) Carpenter brought professional baseball back to the city with the original Wilmington Blue Rocks. The team was a Class B Interstate League affiliate of the Philadelphia A’s. Hall-of-Famer Connie Mack owned the Blue Rocks for their first four years of existence. Another Hall-of-Famer, Chief Bender, served as the Blue Rocks first manager.

In 1943, Carpenter, who was a partner with Mack since the Blue Rocks’ inception, took full ownership of the club. For their final nine years, the original Blue Rocks were a Philadelphia Phillies affiliate.

The nickname “Blue Rocks” came from 73-year-old Robert Miller in a name-the-team contest. Miller lived in the Henry Clay section of the city, famed for its blue granite found along the Brandywine River.

The Blue Rocks played in Wilmington Park, a $185,000 facility at 30th Street and Governor Printz Boulevard. At the time, it was considered one of the finest minor league parks in the country.

In Wilmington’s 13 years in the Interstate League, the Blue Rocks won four Governor’s Cup titles and missed the postseason only twice. Pitchers Robin Roberts and Curt Simmons and outfielder Elmer Valo were some of the notables who played for the Blue Rocks before going to the major leagues.

After setting many records for attendance, the Blue Rocks’ fan support dwindled and 1952 was their final season in the Interstate League.

In 1993, the Blue Rocks returned to professional baseball as the Class-A Carolina League affiliate of the Kansas City Royals. The franchise, formerly known as the Peninsula Pilots, was moved from Hampton, VA.

The stadium, built by the construction company of Blue Rocks President Matt Minker, was named Legends Stadium (later changed to Judy Johnson Field at Daniel S. Frawley Stadium).

Like their forerunners, the modern Blue Rocks have enjoyed great on-field success. Since their return in 1993, Wilmington has one of best-winning percentages in all of Minor League Baseball, winning eight Northern Division titles in 12 years and four Carolina League championships.

Photos / Videos

Map

Nearby

Parking

815 Justison Street,
Wilmington, DE 19801
0.09 miles
Willing Street,
Wilmington, DE
0.94 miles

Food & Drink

818 Shipyard Drive,
Wilmington, DE 19801
0.02 miles
815 Justison Street,
Wilmington, DE 19801
0.09 miles
928 Justison St.,
Wilmington, DE 19801
0.11 miles
928 Justison Street,
Wilmington, DE 19801
0.11 miles
720 Justison St.,
Wilmington, DE 19801
0.18 miles
930 Justison St. ,
Wilmington, DE 19801
0.20 miles

Hotels

815 Justison Street,
Wilmington, DE 19801
0.09 miles
700 King St.,
Wilmington, DE 19801
1.12 miles
422 Delaware Avenue,
Wilmington, DE 19801
1.28 miles
1007 North Orange Street,
Wilmington, DE 19801
1.30 miles